Sunday, February 12, 2012

I wanna dance with somebody...


“Lean into the discomfort”
I read that in a book by Brene Brown. It is exactly what recovery is all about and it is exactly why recovery is so hard for some. I can’t speak for anyone else, but discomfort is what I have spent most of my life trying to avoid.

Feeling uncomfortable and vulnerable is fucking scary. Letting people see who you really are and hoping you will get love back from them is fucking scary. For me I can get love back from 1,000 people, but it is the one person who doesn’t give it back that I will remember. That is the one person I will fixate on and tear myself apart about. Because I am scared that one person sees through me and sees I am just full of shit. Even though today my first goal is honesty, I lied so much to myself and others for the last 35 years I still worry that I am just as awful as I always thought I was. Sometimes for me when I am honest I get scared and instantly I can be right back where I think I started from.

From what I have heard over the past year about recovery, it is that way for a lot of us. From what I have read in Christianity, Buddhism, Hinduism, Taoism and Confucianism it is not special to addict and alcoholics, it is the human condition. What is special to addicts and alcoholics is how we deal with those feelings. I know, for myself, I would drown those feelings with cocaine and vodka. I would run as fast as I could from the person who was frightening. Today I still want to run, but I have a HP, sponsor, friends and program that helps me stay.

Last night a gift of my efforts happened for me. I went to a bar and had fun without drugs or alcohol. My goal was to get dressed up and go dancing, something I never thought that would be possible. Well, I did just what I set out to do. It was a ball. I danced my bum off with some fantastic sober women, who I am lucky enough to call my friends. When I went to treatment I thought I had given up fun for the rest of my life and I was okay with that. My Higher Power had humbled me to the point of total surrender and I just didn’t want to feel the way I felt anymore.
Something else happened last night too. A woman who was one of my idols as a little girl, died at the hands of the same disease I suffer from. She died alone in a hotel room, just like so many of us do.

My first thought was her daughter. This idol of mine has a daughter only one year older than my own. Last year, at about this same time, I came close to leaving this world in a similar fashion. I would have left my daughter, with what I can only guess, would be the same feelings that young woman is feeling today. I would never desire to hurt my little girl and it breaks my heart to know how close she came to not having a mother in her life. I have heard other mothers share those same feelings while in sobriety. I can only imagine that is how my idol felt too.

I have no idea why some of us are blessed to stay sober today and some are not. I don’t feel special in anyway and I know I am not smarter than most. I have no answers and sometimes I still wake up in so much fear I can’t stand myself. I am still learning how to “feel” my emotions and it makes me crazy that it is so incredibly hard to do it. But today I woke up without the urge to pick-up a drink or use a drug. Today I woke up willing to do what I could to face this day, whatever it may bring. Today I was given a gift.

I like to think we are all given the same gifts every day. I imagine that the beauty of life has always been all around me and I was just blind to it before. In Buddhism, the Buddha teaches that some only have “a little dust in their eyes” and if that dust is removed, they can be awakened.    Maybe that’s it, maybe not.

I am sending lots of love to that beautiful woman who lost her fight last night with this disease.  I hope wherever she is now, there is love, peace and joy all around her.  I am grateful that today, even when I can’t constantly feel it, I do try and remember, there is love, peace and joy around me….. always.

R.I.P. WH

You helped countless others stay sober today.

No comments:

Post a Comment